Today the Children’s Museum of Memphis held the first official West TN FLL Jr Expo. Two teams, the RoboTrons (Team 15588) and the MightyBots (Team 15589) attended. It was a wonderful day of sharing, playing and having fun.
Thank you to the the FLL Jr Partner-Avis Robinson (Director of Education), the staff of the Children’s Museum of Memphis and especially the coaches and parents.
Of course the real stars of the show were the teams themselves. Congratulations on a fantastic job!
All the pictures from the day can be found HERE.
Registration for The Children’s Museum of Memphis FIRST LEGO League Jr. Expo is Open
Welcome to the Mission Moon season! Registration for the March 30th Expo at The Children’s Museum of Memphis is now open. Don’t delay! If your team will be present, please send me an email at email@example.com. I will respond with the information package and registration document. The cost for each team is $ 20.00. This includes participation in the Expo programming (9:30 – 12 noon), museum admission, and a boxed lunch for all student participants.
Please contact me if you have questions.
With high-fives and admiration,
West Tennessee FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Partner
The Children’s Museum of Memphis is please to announce the first FLL Jr Expo in the West TN FLL Jr Region. It will be held at the Children’s Museum of Memphis om March 30, 2019. To register and for more information please email the West TN FLL Jr Partner Avis Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FIRST HQ is please to announce that the Children’s Museum of Memphis (CMOM) is now the official FLL Jr Partner for West TN.
First® Lego® League Jr. is a non-competitive, hands-on STEM program for children ages 6 to 10.
Teams of up to six children each begin to explore the challenge with an exclusive LEGO® Education Inspire Model where they design and build their own model using the LEGO® elements. They operate under the core values celebrating discovery, innovation, impact, inclusion, teamwork and, of course, fun. Teachers are encouraged to gather a team and plan your mission to the moon. Read more about it here.
FLL Jr for West TN will be overseen by CMOM’s Director of Education, Avis Robinson and you can contact her at email@example.com.
I am sorry to inform you that the TVA Grant is closed as of Sep 10, 2018.
Time is running out if you wish to apply for the TVA Grant (click here for details). FIRST HQ just informed us “there is a very small amount of TVA funds available after the submissions received thus far. We may be closing grant submissions earlier than anticipated.”
From FIRST HQ:
Please note that on Monday, July 30, 2018, the FIRST registration site will be down for maintenance until the afternoon. This is for the deployment of the new FIRST storefront features which will enable FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. and FIRST® LEGO® League teams to purchase their robot sets along with team registration. Teams will no longer need to link over to LEGO® Education for the core products needed for team participation. Any additional products, such as motors and sensors, will be purchased directly from LEGO Education at their retail web shop.
At this transition time, FIRST LEGO League Jr. and FIRST LEGO League teams who have not provided a sales tax exemption form will see tax calculations on their dashboard reflecting how FIRST will be collecting and remitting sales tax.
Teams currently in the registration system and the general public will receive messaging about the new storefront starting on Tuesday, July 31, 2018, once we have ensured everything deployed correctly.
In addition, with this launch, we will activate shipments of Challenge Sets and Inspire Set materials to teams who have previously registered. They can expect receipt by mid-August. These teams will also have the option of adding Robot Sets directly from the FIRST storefront if they did not purchase them previously (limits apply). Remember, all FIRST LEGO League Jr. and FIRST LEGO League registrations include Inspire Set materials or the Challenge Set.
TVA Grant available for FLL Jr teams!
- All FIRST LEGO League Junior teams in the TVA Service Area are eligible for funding (that includes West TN), which will cover team registration bundle only (registration fee & Inspire Set)
- Teams must begin the registration process with FIRST and hold a team number, however, teams must NOT pay for registration as it will forfeit their TVA Grant. No exceptions, substitutions or refunds will be made.
- A maximum of 256 TVA team grants are available on a first come, first served basis. Funds will be available until December 1, 2018 OR until team registration closes in your region/nationally OR until we reach the 256 team grant cap – whichever comes first. If we get close to reaching the 256 team cap, we will notify all Partners (and we will post it on this blog).
- All teams interested in receiving TVA funds must submit a very short online application to FIRST
- FIRST will send grant information and the application link to all teams that received TVA funding last season and encourage them to apply for funds if they intend to participate this season. The list of last season’s TVA teams that we will contact is attached for your reference – any teams that have already paid their registration for this season have been removed from the list.
- We ask that Partners send the application link to any other teams that are eligible for TVA funds – new/rookie teams or returning teams that did not receive funding last season.
- You may choose to post the TVA information and application link on your website or social media channels
TVA Grant Process
- FIRST will review all grant requests each Wednesday by noon, Eastern Time.
- FIRST will send the grant requests to Tennessee Valley Authority to verify the team’s location within their service area. This process usually takes 48 hours.
- Once FIRST receives the approval back from Tennessee Valley Authority, teams can expect the grant funds to be available within 5 business days.
- Teams should expect to receive 3 emails during the application process – 1. To confirm that they have successfully submitted the application 2. To notify them of approval and application of funds 3. Information about recognizing/thanking TVA and the use of the TVA logo.
- Any teams that have already paid registration or are outside of the TVA services area will be referred back to the Partner.
- Any questions regarding this process should be directed to Ryanne Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org .